History of Ohio Catholic
- In February 1954, thirteen members of St. Monica Parish and Reverend Hugh Gallagher formed St. Monica Garfield Heights Federal Credit Union. Operation began on March 23, 1954.
- In 1981, credit union membership was expanded to include the members, employees, and immediate families of St. Martin of Tours Parish. The name was changed to St. Monica/St. Martin Federal Credit Union and in 1982, the logo, SM/SM FCU, was adopted.
- In May 1988, ground was broken for a new two-story building to house all credit union operations. This location opened on October 22, 1988, as one of the finest financial institution buildings in the area.
- In 1994, the credit union’s field of membership was expanded to include St. Wenceslas Parish (Maple Heights) and employees of Light of Hearts Villa (Bedford).
- In 1995, the advertised name of the credit union was changed to SM/SM Federal Credit Union.
- On July 1, 1999, the St. Pius X Parish Credit Union, Inc. merged into the SM/SM Federal Credit Union. New members included: St. Barnabas Catholic Parish (Northfield), St. Mary Catholic Parish (Bedford), St. Pius X Parish (Bedford), and Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish (Macedonia).
- The first branch opened on July 1, 1999, in Northfield.
The New Millennium
- On April 5, 2000, the SM/SM Federal Credit Union website was launched.
- During 2002, a 12,000 square foot addition to the credit union’s main office in back of St. Monica Church (Garfield Heights) was completed.
- Also in 2002, a 7,200 square foot new branch was constructed in the Alexandria Square Commons on State Route 82 in Macedonia. This replaced the Northfield Branch.
- On April 15, 2004, SM/SM Federal Credit Union officially expanded membership eligibility to all employees, members, and students of the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland.
- In July 2004, St. Michael Catholic Parish (Independence) joined the family.
- On July 29, 2004, the name was changed to Ohio Catholic Federal Credit Union (OCFCU).
- October 2004, Ohio Catholic FCU offered federally insured student loans and elementary and secondary Catholic School Tuition Loans.
- In January 2005, St. Rocco (Cleveland) and St. Matthew (Akron) joined the Ohio Catholic FCU family.
- January 2005, Ohio Catholic FCU officially opened the Cleveland West branch in Lin’s Omni Square at 3167 Fulton Road and the Akron branch at 526 Canton Road.
- July 2006, Ohio Catholic FCU offered VISA gift cards.
- In January 2007, St. Albert the Great (North Royalton) joined the Ohio Catholic FCU family.
- On June 1, 2007, Ohio Catholic FCU converted to a new data processor, CU*Answers.
- July of 2008, Ohio Catholic FCU offered members Advantage Share Certificate and Reward Points for using the Ohio Catholic FCU VISA cards.
- October of 2008, Ohio Catholic FCU opened the North Royalton Branch at 5251 Wallings Road in Cleats Plaza.
- January 2009, Ohio Catholic FCU was pleased to announce our new Tuition Forgiveness Program. Each year, ten members utilizing our tuition loan program will have one month of tuition forgiven.
- August of 2009, Ohio Catholic FCU marked a milestone in its history by reaching one-half of one billion dollars in loans.
- In November 2009, the Independence office was merged into the other four branch locations.
- In November 2009, the Cleveland West office hours were expanded to full time.
- December of 2009, Ohio Catholic FCU partnered with the Diocese of Cleveland and the Office of Catholic Education to be the primary sponsor of the 2010 Catholic Schools Campaign.
- January 2010 Ohio Catholic FCU appeared on the Robin Swoboda Show to promote Catholic education.
- February 2010, the Akron office relocated to 1900 West Market Street, Akron. The new location offers many member friendly attributes including two drive-up teller stations and a night deposit box. Full-time hours of operation were implemented.
- March 2010 Ohio Catholic FCU made three appearances on the Good Company Show to promote the benefits of joining a credit union and the unique attributes of being a Catholic credit union.
- March 2010, Ohio Catholic FCU adds It’s Me 247 Mobile Web Banking and eDoc to its portfolio of services.
- July 2010, Ohio Catholic FCU launches redesigned website.
- December 2010, Cathedral Square Branch located at 1404 E. 9th St., Cleveland offically opened. The new location is a full service financial institution and gives us the opportunity to provide greater value and benefit more individuals, families, school, and parishes withing the Diocese of Cleveland.
- March 2011, Ohio Catholic FCU is proud to be a Member Organization of the Catholic Community Connection. The CCC collaborates with other Catholic ministries to respond to the needs of all people within the diocese of Cleveland.
- April 2011, Ohio Catholic introduces the Student Choice program for college students. Private student lending helps fill the gap left in paying for a college education when Federal Student Loans, scholarships and other forms of financial aid are not enough to cover the full cost. With lower interest rates and no origination fees, significant cost savings will be realized by choosing Ohio Catholic’s Student Choice program over other alternative private student lending programs.
- April 2011, Milano Monuments becomes a Preferred Business Partner of Ohio Catholic FCU. This relationship will provide Ohio Catholic members and partners with valuable products and services from Milano Monuments with a special Preferred Partner Discount on all stone-based monuments and memorial products. It will also include a year-round 10% savings on any gift stone purchase. We are excited to be working with Milano Monuments!
- June 2011, eBranch opened June 2, 2011 to service our members. The eBranch is composed of a dedicated and focused team who will provide first-class service to our members. “Exceptional Service, Every Member, Every Call”.
- July 2011, We are pleased to announce that Ohio Catholic Federal Credit Union has been named one of the best places to work in Cleveland! Ohio Catholic employees are committed to the credit union movement, the Catholic values our credit union is founded on, and the members we serve. The Ohio Catholic’s employee’s dedication to our members, the community, and each other has earned Ohio Catholic FCU the honor of being recognized as one of the Plain Dealer’s Top 100 Best Companies to Work for in Cleveland.
- November 2011, Catholic Cemeteries Association becomes a Preferred Partner of Ohio Catholic FCU. This relationship will help to support the pre-planning needs of members in preparation for, at the time of, and following the death of a loved one.
- December 2011, Ohio Catholic adds Mobile Text Banking to its portfolio of services.