You have probably heard by now about the Equifax data breach that has been said to affect the information of some 143 million customers. Equifax said its breach includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver’s license numbers and credit card numbers.
Your financial safety and security is of the utmost importance to Ohio Catholic and is something we take very seriously. Below are a few recommendations to help you monitor your credit report and prevent identity theft as well as reduce the potential for fraud from this or any future data breaches.
- All members should visit the Equifax site to read up on important cybersecurity and consumer information and utilize the links to verify if your identity was compromised. The site can be accessed following this link: https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/
- If your information has been identified as being compromised, consider signing up for Equifax identity theft protection program and credit monitoring service.
- Review your credit reports from all three bureaus check for any anomalies.
- Never use a debit card or anything that is connected to cash in your account to make online purchase. Using a credit card may be the safer option.
- Regularly monitor credit union accounts, credit cards, and any other type of financial accounts. File a dispute or report unauthorized activity as soon as it is detected.
- Sign up for eAlerts from Ohio Catholic to better track account activity. Members may sign up for eAlerts through online banking or visiting one of our regional branches and speaking with an MSR.
- Put a lock or security freeze on your credit report file which prevents new lenders from accessing your information. This may come with a cost and it could delay the timely approval of any application including new credit, insurance, employment background checks, cell phones, etc.
- Never log in to your accounts or enter any type of financial information while connected to a wireless hot spot that is not secure.
- Never use your email address as a log on for financial accounts.
Please feel free to reach to Ohio Catholic by calling us at (888) 696-4462 or stopping by your favorite regional branch location in Garfield Hts., Macedonia, North Royalton, or Akron if you have additional questions or concerns.